"The Carol of the Drum"

Come they told me, pa rum pum pum pum
A new born King to see, pa rum pum pum pum
Our finest gifts we bring, pa rum pum pum pum
To lay before the King, pa rum pum pum pum,
rum pum pum pum, rum pum pum pum,

So to honor Him, pa rum pum pum pum,
When we come.

Little Baby, pa rum pum pum pum
I am a poor boy too, pa rum pum pum pum
I have no gift to bring, pa rum pum pum pum
That's fit to give the King, pa rum pum pum pum,
rum pum pum pum, rum pum pum pum,

Shall I play for you, pa rum pum pum pum,
On my drum?

Mary nodded, pa rum pum pum pum
The ox and lamb kept time, pa rum pum pum pum
I played my drum for Him, pa rum pum pum pum
I played my best for Him, pa rum pum pum pum,
rum pum pum pum, rum pum pum pum,

Then He smiled at me, pa rum pum pum pum
Me and my drum.


This song is completely filler. The poetic license is incredible. But, it tells us a story that is completely in line with who Jesus is and the message he brought us during his visitation to our tiny blue planet.

There were kings bringing expensive, impressive gifts because he is the king. But, this boy had nothing to give him except what he had. Jesus accepted his gift. This is how he accepts our gifts to him. None of them are significant enough to warrant even his slightest awareness, but his grace is way beyond the pride of other, lesser kings. He not only accepts our poor gifts, but he deems them acceptable.

Someone may accept a gift from you, but think it not an acceptable gift. They are just being nice. But, Jesus says that our pitiable gifts are acceptable to him and to God.

This tells us a story of living with the gifts and place in life that God has given us and offering that to God.

It is God who made us. He has given us the gifts we bear and he loves that we return to him the grace he has given to us. He isn't concerned with great oratories, gold, silver or numbers of people that we may influence. He is concerned with who he has made us to be and where he has made us to live and what he has given us. These are the things that he calls acceptable when we return the grace he has given us by giving to him of what we have even though others may consider it to be nothing fit for a king.




This may be more to your liking:



Besides all of this, it is the only Christmas Carol that I know of that is this personal with the interaction between this boy and Jesus and his family.

Category: | 3 Comments

3 comments to “Why I like "Little Drummer Boy"”

  1. I really like this song too. The Blind Boys of Alabama do a nice version of it too.

  1. I didn't know the words to this song, (except the pa rum pum pum pum). But I always liked the beat!! :) Dale

  1. I always think of the little biker boy and the gift he bourght. A little Harley! Pa RUM RUM RUMMBLE RRRRRRRRRUM!!!

I appreciate your comments. Thank you.